Prior to the Supreme Court’s opinion on Dobbs vs JacksonGovernor Gretchen Whitmer and the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) launched a file New Consumer Website To help Michigan women understand insurance coverage for contraceptives and other related reproductive health services.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) has recently taken action to support reproductive health. They include:
- Seek and receive approval from the Federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to extend the period of postpartum Medicaid coverage in Michigan from 60 days after conception to a full year, beginning in April 2022.
- Medicaid policy update for provider coverage for up to 12 months of prescribed contraceptives for those enrolled in family planning clinics or pharmacies.
- Propose a policy that would establish Medicaid coverage for Doula services, subject to approval by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid. Doulas is a trained midwife who provides non-clinical emotional, physical and informational support to pregnant women and their families before, during and after delivery.
- Expand access to evidence-based home visitation programs to better address health, housing, food security and safety during pregnancy and postpartum.
“MDHHS works tirelessly to provide coverage and medical services to the people of Michigan to help them live their lives healthier,” MDHHS Director Elizabeth Hertel. “Access to affordable or no-cost contraceptives is very important when it comes to providing reproductive health care services to enable women to plan pregnancy at a time that best suits themselves and their families.”
Although most health plans offer contraception at no cost, there are certain circumstances in which you may have to pay for these treatments, including:
- If you prefer a type or brand of contraception that is not currently covered by your insurance company;
DIFS can assist consumers with health insurance questions and complaints. For more information visit Michigan.gov/HealthInsurance Or call DIFS at 877-999-6442, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.